Most of the time we are unaware of it, but that does not mean it is not the case.
Most of the time our lives are dumpster fires and we are in desperate need of Jesus, but we just do not know it and do not know how to find our way to Him. Thankfully there is a simple explanation that describes what the Christian means when he asks, “Are you saved?”
This is what the dumpster fire of our lives look like without Jesus from Romans 3: 10-18,
“As is is written: None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands; no one seeks for God. All have turned aside; together they have become worthless; no one does good, not even one. Their throat is an open grave; they use their tongues to deceive. The venom of asps is under their lips. Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness. Their feet are swift to shed blood; in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they have not known. There is no fear of God before their eyes.”
That is a pretty good description of many peoples lives, but it does not have to be a permanent condition. Jesus has provided a way to turn your life around.
- It begins with Romans 3: 23 when we recognize our condition, “for all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God.” If you notice the Bible does not say some, it says all. That includes me and it includes you. Or in the parlance of the army, Lotti, Dottie, and everybody has sinned and fallen short of the glory of God.
- And continues in Romans 6: 23, “For the wages of sin is death, but the free gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. Sin = Death, the formula is clear. The solution though comes as a gift, it is not something you can buy or find on your own.
- As we see in Romans 5:8, “but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Jesus did this for you and me, while we were still sinners. No one is so bad they cannot be saved, although the devil wants us to think Jesus sacrifice was not sufficient for yours and my sins. It was only enough for those other people. This is a lie.
- Which is made clear in Romans 10:9, “because, if you confess with your mouth that Jesus is Lord and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Notice the lack of qualifications on that statement? Confessing Jesus as Lord and believing in your heart God raised Him from the dead is enough for everyone, not just the other guy. It is enough for you too!
- As Paul writes in Romans 10: 13, “For everyone who calls on the name of the Lord will be saved.” Well it does not get any better than that does it?
If you are unsure if you are saved or if you have confessed Jesus as Lord, please re-read the above five points and confess Jesus as Lord and Savior, believing God raised Jesus from the dead and experience the joy of a new life and a rebirth as a Christian. As Romans 8:1 says, “There is therefore now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus.” You are a new creation with a new life in Jesus.
This is just the beginning of course. Now you get to experience all the joy and mystery of your new life. Once saved, the process of discipleship can begin, which is nothing to be afraid of. Ask the person that shared the Good News of Jesus to disciple you, join a local body of believers, commonly called the Church, and begin learning just who your Lord is.
Your path to heaven has been made straight. Now you get to walk it! Welcome, we have been waiting for you! You can find a book that takes you step by step for a more in-depth review of the Roman Road below from Amazon.